Thursday, July 24, 2008

VBS and Grandchildren

This has been Vacation Bible School week at First Baptist. This is my 5th or 6th year to teach Preschool Music which I absolutely love. The only downside to this is having these silly little preschool songs going through my head 24-7. If you asked me to hum or sing a regular song right now, it would be absolutely impossible. But the kids...they are the reason I put up with "Here We Come-A Walking Down the Street" running through my head. Some are shy at first but quickly warm up. Others are unabashedly loving on you the minute they walk in the door. Some are shy at first and are still shy when they walk out the door on the last day. I love to watch Ethan...he knows me...I have babysat him several times...but he is shy, so he doesn't want to sit in the circle with the group. He sits against the wall and watches. By this time, he has learned the songs and the motions, so he very shyly does the motions and mouths the words, while he sits against the wall. And when we get the streamers out for the last "parade" song, he always wants a streamer...and waves it to the music...while he sits against the wall. And then there's Mason, and Natalie, and Juliana, and others who learn all the words and all the motions and are so excited to participate in everything we do. They even know which song comes next on the custom-made "Preschool VBS Mix" CD. And the younger four-year-olds like Kylee and Annabell just want to sit in your lap or talk to you while you are trying to sing. Plus, having 5 classes of preschoolers for 20 minutes each, singing, dancing, marching around the room is a great workout!

One of the bonuses this year is being able to take my grandkids with me to Bible School! This is the second year I've taken Caleb, who lives here. But this year, Aidan (along with his mommy and baby sister) is here for a visit, so he and Caleb are keeping Miss Jeana and Miss LeeAnn hopping in Preschool 4D! It is quite the adventure...the minute we get in the car, the VBS Preschool Mix is in the CD player, back speakers turned up, and the boys requesting "Nana, we want the 'marching' song!" (That's Choose Jesus....cause they love the motions and the instrumental version is the one we march to with streamers.) Then it's "Nana, now the 'cowboy' song!" ("I Will Hasten" which has music you could ride a horse to and involves slapping your knee and saying "YeeHaw"!) Then Caleb always wants to go back to the 'marching' song, but Aidan wants to listen to the 'love Jesus' song (He Loves You/He Loves Me) which has a great 50's sound. What fun!

Christi and Annaliese are going with us, too! Christi is helping me out in class...along with Brook duBois who is absolutely wonderful and loved by all the kids...especially Caleb! Christi is an elementary music teacher in Plano, so its like having a pro on board. Annaliese, who is 15-months-old, goes to the nursery and comes to music class with the three-year-olds...five precious little girls who love to sing and dance. Annaliese loves to stand in the middle of our circle and watch...she also loves the wave the streamers, and she loves to get her sticker at the end of class.

VBS and grandkids...what a great mix! It's so much fun...so much fun, in fact, that I'm going to give Caleb and Aidan their own copy of the "VBS Preschool Mix" CD...Christi and Carey are going to love me!

2 comments:

no_iffer said...

Mason has had such a great time in VBS. Thanks so much for all the hard work and time you guys put into it for him. And I too have the songs stuck in my head. And today I was forced to do all the motions, especially the knee slap, to the cowboy song! Thanks again for helping my son have a blast at VBS. : )

Diane said...

Mason was a delight to have in music! He always had a smile on his face and was eager to participate...and he was WELL-BEHAVED!!! Thank YOU!