Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mothers

There are few women I consider to be a mother figure to me other than my own mom. My mom is the best, and I will forever consider myself to be blessed beyond measure to be her daughter.

But occasionally God has brought other 'mothers' into my life, to share with me their lives and with whom I can share my life and grow to love. Two such women have held the title of 'mother-in-law.' Now I know there are a lot of jokes and bad press about mothers-in-law, but I am honored to have had two of the best!

Thirty-two years ago, Dorothy Presley became my mother-in-law. (Am I really that old???) Twelve years ago, through the difficulties of divorce, she ceased being my mother-in-law but remained my friend and will always be 'my other mom.' She will always hold a very special place in my heart. She will always be loved with the kind of love and respect and admiration that I have for my own mother.

Almost eleven years ago, God brought another 'mom' into my life when I married Kerry...Naomi Peacock...a woman who I have come to love in a very special way. She welcomed me into her family with open arms. And on Tuesday of this week, on August 26, our Lord welcomed her into the realm of His heaven with open arms of grace. She was a wonderful mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother. She readily accepted her place as another grandmother to my girls. (In my humble opinion, one can never have too many grandparents!) Oh, and she loved those great-grandkids! She was a strong Christian lady and a hard worker. And she will be missed. In lots of places. About a month before she passed away, she was in our home in San Angelo, and she had the opportunity to see all of Kerry's kids and the grandkids. When I took her home to Odessa, one of the last things, and the most memorable thing, she said to me was, "I'm so glad Kerry found you." That...I will always remember.

Kerry wrote a prayer/poem for her one Mother's Day and read it to her from the pulpit as he gave her a rose. This is what he wrote:

Dear Heavenly Father,
This beautiful flower is like the precious mother you gave to me…delicate and tender…sweet and wonderful! Dear Lord, I know it took you in all your splendor to create such beauty…it took you in all your glory to create mothers. You gave them hearts that love…hands that heal…and hope that radiates from their smiles. Lord, as I think of my mom today…as I look at this beautiful flower that reminds me of her…I thank you for her. I thank you for your gift of love and beauty to me…I thank you for my mother! Amen.

Isn't that awesome? He will read this at her funeral service on Saturday. And I will sing one of her favorite songs (and mine)...Beulah Land. As I sat at her bedside during that final hour, I sang this song...not out loud, but in my heart...it just seemed appropriate...

I'm kind of homesick for a country, to which I've never been before.
No sad goodbyes will there be spoken, and time won't matter anymore.

Beulah land, I'm longing for you; and some day, on thee I'll stand.
There my home will be eternal; Beulah land, Sweet Beulah land.

I'm standing now across the river; where my faith will end in sight.
There's just a few more days to labor; and then I'll take my heavenly flight.

Goodbye, Naomi. You've struggled on this earth long enough. Rest in the arms of your Savior. Rejoice in the reunion of family and friends. Remember that we love you and that we will miss you...so very much.

No comments: