Friday, April 10, 2009

Play Ball!

The day finally arrived last Saturday...the day I got to watch Caleb play his very first ball game! I have dreamed and waited for this day since he was just big enough to play 'catch' with Nana. Having girls, playing 'baseball' with a toddler was all new for me. I didn't know much about baseball at all until I started watching it with Kerry and going to a few games. And I found out that I really like baseball! And I REALLY liked playing baseball with Caleb. He could throw that little baseball straight to me when he was 2! When he was big enough to really handle the bat, I started pitching to him, and he was uncannily good at hitting most of them! The funny thing is that he would throw with his right arm but bat left-handed. As soon as he would hit the ball, he would take off running across the yard while I 'chased' him with the ball until he got back to wherever the bat had landed. That meant he was 'safe'. So the next thing we did was put out some 'bases' so he could run the bases. But he would always run to third base first! We worked on that, too. Sometimes he would let me bat, and I would let him chase me with the ball! I know, it's a pretty hilarious mental picture...a 50ish Nana running around the backyard with a preschooler, but it was heaven to me! I had SO much fun watching him learn to play ball. It was a special thing between Caleb and his Nana. We even gave him a T-ball set for his 4th birthday. I could hardly wait until he was old enough to play T-ball...and I could go and cheer him on at his games. And now he is 5 and old enough to play in the city league! His team is the Cubs, and he is #6! And he is TOO CUTE!



In 'ready' position as shortstop!


First time at bat!

Running home from third base!




His second game on Monday night, he played first base.



After his first game...with a 'sno-cone reward'...with little brother, Connor, who is gonna be our next great baseball player!!



I can't really put into words how I felt as I sat there during that first game, watching my little Caleb play a real game, catching a ball in his little glove, crouched in his 'ready' position, standing at the tee with his bat and eyeballing the ball, then swinging and hitting the ball, running to each base, then sliding home... Oh my, it was just so neat! I may not be the loudest fan, but I will be one of the most sincere, most dedicated, proudest fan that little boy has, because I will never forget. I am so proud of my little T-ball player!





No comments: