Monday, May 5, 2008

Ook, Nana!

We've been doing extensive work in the backyard since before Christmas and our poor yard has surely suffered for it! What was once a lush green lawn perfect for playing baseball with Caleb or playing in the water with Tater or just watching Tux chase the boys around had become a sparse brown and green mottled expanse. There were patches of grass here and there but not enough to keep the area from becoming a mud pit when it rained or a dust bowl when the wind blew.

About ten days ago we had grass seed blown in, and I've been watering if faithfully...three times a day for about 5 minutes each. Last Friday, Tater and I were out in the backyard, which has become our after-nap-routine. Get some juice, a snack for Tater and a snack for Tux (Bacon Beggin' Strips) and go outside and play till Mommy comes. I had gone over to the edge of the deck, squatted down, and tried to see if there were any little baby grass shoots coming up. Tater came up to me and said, "What doin', Nan?" (His new nickname for me is Nan...I actually think it's pretty cute!) "I'm looking for some grass," I told him. He looked at me, put his little hand on the back of my neck and gently said "'ook, Nana" while pointing with the other hand at one of the patches of grass that has been there all along! I'm sure he was thinking, "Poor Nana, she's lost it, can't even see the grass!" I was laughing so much I almost fell on my face in the dirt!

Kerry has loved this story...which I admit is pretty funny. But it also reminds me that many times what we are looking for is right there in front of us...satisfaction with our life, an answer to a problem, everything we need to live a life pleasing to God. All we have to do is look...and sometimes it takes looking through someone else's eyes...God's eyes.

No comments: