Monday, May 19, 2008

Swallows...Still...

Well, just as I suspected, the plastic bag did nothing to deter the swallows...they just piled their mud on top of the plastic! So this morning I remembered that I had some mesh netting from when we had new shrubs in the front and we didn't want the deer to eat them (but we took it off too soon, and the deer ate them anyway!). I got the netting and stapled it to the ceiling and wall around the porch light so the birds can't even get to it. I felt so bad...I sat out on the patio and watched these swallows (there are still 3 of them???) as they would swoop in with "nesting material" in their beaks. They would fly up to the netting, fan their wings while they hovered, perplexed, then fly off only to return immediately and do the same thing.

Then they sat on the edge of the roof or the top of the patio umbrella and watched. They did this all morning!

We'll see...............................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Di needs a bird house.

Diane said...

Aunt Di HAS a bird house...she has several bird houses! Swallows think they are too good for bird houses...they want to build their own!

HOWEVER, I am pleased to announce that it has been 24 hours and they have not figured out how to get around, behind, under, OR through the mesh netting. They just come and perch on the edge of the roof or on top of the umbrella pole and look at me with the most mournful look. I can almost see a pouty lip on their little beaks!