Saturday, May 17, 2008

Swallows....

You've heard of the swallows who return every year on the same date to San Juan Capistrano? I've decided it is because they are a very tenacious and stubborn species! We have these swallows who are determined to build a nest on the porch light on our back patio! There are three of them (explain that one???) that have been flying in for about three weeks now, sitting on the top of the porch light or on one of the ceiling fan blades, delighting Tater as they would fly around in circles up under the porch. And I've been watching and inspecting all around the house to make sure they weren't building a nest on the side of the house anywhere. I know they need to nest, but I prefer they not do it on my house! Well, last week it rained, and I guess that is all it took for these swallows to start building a nest (with all the fresh mud around). I walked out on the patio one day as two of the swallows flew off...I glanced up at the porchlight, and saw it...grass and mud plastered to the top of the light fixture. So I knocked it down with the broom and put a paper sack over the fixture. I also turned on the ceiling fan thinking the movement might keep them away. No way. The next day I went out to check on things...they had started building on top of the paper sack! Well, I could sort of understand that...there was a flat surface (the bottom of the sack) up against the wall....perfect for a swallow's nest. Well, needless to say, I pulled down the sack, wiped down all the muddy splatters (and who knows what else) off the walls and ceiling, and wrapped the light fixture with a plastic bag this time. Today we came home from an overnight visit to Odessa...I went out to check on the situation. You guessed it...mud already packed in on top of the plastic bag. Kerry's says they can't build a nest on the bag, and they'll give up. I'm not so sure. I know how stubborn and determined these little guys are! I'm going to watch the building process for a couple of days and see what happens. I just hope I catch it before they get far enough along to lay eggs...I am a preventionist, but not an abortionist!

No comments: