Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Facebook Friends

One of the fun things about Facebook, other than keeping in touch with friends and family and reconnecting with old friends, is making new friends. It is not unusual (for me, anyway) to become FB friends with 'third-party' friends...for example, friends of my friends who seem pretty cool according to their comments I read on my friends' posts. I have found some pretty awesome friends whom I have never met in person! So the other day, I requested to be friends with a friend of one of my new friends. (Are you confused yet?)

To my surprise and delight, this is the response I got back...."Oh my gosh, Diane! I was just looking at your pictures and realized I'm the Kathie that kept Dana when she was little!" What? This friend of a friend of a friend is actually one of my long-lost friends!! 

In another lifetime, when Jenni & Melynda were in elementary school, I had to find someone new to keep Dana during the day. God placed in our lives a wonderful Christian mom who kept children in her home.....Kat's Kids was the name of her in-home daycare. For two years Dana stayed with Kathie; even when she started kindergarten, she stayed with Kathie in the afternoons.

Kathie was the best childcare provider we had ever had. She loved 'her kids', and they loved her. I can remember when Dana had chicken pox, I called Kathie to tell her, and Kathie told me to go ahead and bring her over! All of the other kids had either already had chicken pox or their parents didn't mind them being exposed, hoping they would get them before starting to school. So I took her, and Kathie put her in the bathtub with Aveeno bath and let her soak her little itching body! Another time, we had to be gone out of town overnight, and Dana stayed with Kathie. We still have a little recipe book that Kathie made with the kids....it has recipes submitted by the moms (favorites of the kids) and recipes made up by the kids. It is a priceless treasure. And in the attic are two things that will be passed on to Dana's kids....a bear-shaped corner shelf and a doll cradle given to her by Kathie, made by Kathie's dad. Get the picture? She was really special to us.

Then we moved to San Angelo. And as much as we missed Kathie, we lost touch with her.

Until today.


.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Third Party friends are the best!!